Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Great Classic Novella Reading Marathon

I have set myself a goal of plowing through ten science fiction novellas which have near mythic status among fans, or are just very good. They are:

1. Forlesen, by Gene Wolfe ( a story I have been meaning to get around to reading ever since I left my very brief stint at a corporate workplace)

2. The Rose, by Charles Harness, a novella nearly always very widely acclaimed by authors but which no one seems to read much.

3. The Time Machine, by H G Wells. Yes, the one that got the ball rolling. Read this so long ago that it deserves a re-read, especially now that I am a little more well read in the genre.

4. The Voices of Time, by J G Ballard, one of the more enigmatic pieces by Ballard I remember being puzzled by on my first read through

5. The Ballad of Lost C'Mell, by Cordwainer Smith, a slightly longish story about underpeople, or talking animals. Smith and talking animals is ALWAYS a good thing.

6. Engine Summer, by John Crowley. A magnificent author with a gorgeous style. Great Work of Time was excellent. I have high hopes for this too.

7. At the Mountains of Madness, by H P Lovecraft 

8. Vintage Season, by Lewis Padgett 

9. Persistence of Vision, by John Varley

10. The Moon Moth, by Jack Vance

11. The Watched, by Christopher Priest

12. Schrodinger's Kitten, by George Alec Effinger

13. Solitude, by Ursula Le Guin

14. The Big Front Yard, by Clifford Simak

Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment